Garages can be a great addition to your home for various reasons. It offers storage, safety and security to your vehicle. However, if you have not installed a right garage door, the safety and security of your vehicle is at risk. If you are planning to install garage doors, you can easily find various places that offer Garage Doors Melbourne.
Take a look at the safety tips for garage doors that can help in keeping everyone and everything safe and secure.
The first and foremost thing to do is to make sure that the garage door opener or any control button is out of reach of small children. If they find it, they can mess around or play with the button which may warrant repairs.
If your garage operates using a remote, make sure that the remote control is out of reach of children.
- Make sure that you cross check the owner’s manual and learn how to use the garage door’s emergency release feature in case of an emergency.
- Inspect the garage door thoroughly every month. Take a look at the springs, cables, pulleys, rollers etc. for signs of deterioration. Never attempt in removing, repairing or adjusting any parts that might be attached to your garage door. If required, reach out to a trained door repairman to make adjustments to these parts which are under high tension.
- Perform a monthly check on the garage door openers reversing mechanism by placing a roll of paper towels or some minor hindrance in the door’s path. If the door does not reverse after contacting the object, reach out to a qualified garage door professional to make necessary repairs. If the opener has not been replaced for a long time, consider adding a new one with auto-reverse feature.
- Never leave the garage door partially open. When you activate it again, the door might travel downward and come in contact with some hindrance in its path. This might also impact your home security.
- Avoid placing fingers between the door sections and explaining the dangers of it to children. If there are small children, consider installing a door with panels that can’t pinch.
- If you are planning to go on a vacation, make sure to unplug the garage door opener unit or add a vacation lock security switch so that the remotes are unusable. This can be an optional accessory to most of the openers.
- If there is no rolling code technology for a garage opener which changes access codes each time the opener is used, be sure to change the codes on opener and remote control. Newer Garage Doors have such safety and security features. You can easily find many new garage door manufacturers in Melbourne if you look online. Reach out to one of them to get your home a new garage door.
- A new trend in invading homes is by gaining access to the home by stealing the opener or a car. So make sure you never leave the remote of your